1) Make up a basic cake/sponge recipe and divide the mixture equally into 3 seperate bowls. We combined 4oz of caster sugar with 4oz of butter then added 2 eggs and 4oz of self-raising flour to make ours.
2) Add a few drops of different food colouring to each bowl and fold it in thoroughly. We used blue, green and red.
3) Spoon a small amount from each bowl into a cupcake case so the mixture is layered in each one.
4) Bake in the oven, allow to cool slightly and put the cakes onto a wire tray to cool down completely.
5) Add icing (we made butter cream) and try to make it look like fluffy clouds. Using a fork to pull the icing upwards gives it peaks.
6) Slice your fizzy rainbow sweets (we got ours in Co-op) down in size, around 3" should be fine or half a piece. Curve them slightly and place on top of each cake.
We have made slightly different variations of these over the past few years and you can aswell. We have left the sponges plain and had multi-coloured icing instead, added tiny marshmallows to represent clouds and added rainbow drops and other sweets too! Just explore with what you have available.