The last few days of glorious sunshine certainly makes me think that summer is on the way and with that in mind I've been in the kitchen whisking up a few treats that are ideal for both lunch boxes and family picnics.
This delicious tray bake is easy to make and features a traditional flavour combo - rhubarb and custard!
220g caster sugar
3 large eggs
200g self-raising flour
400g vanilla custard
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees and line 2 baking trays
- Cut the rhubarb into small chucks approx 2cm in length, scatter them onto the paper in the first baking tray and sprinkle over approx 20g of caster sugar
- Bake for 25 minutes until softened and caramelised slightly and set to one side to cool
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter with the remaining sugar and then add in the eggs, flour and the vanilla custard, mixing well
- Stir in 3/4 of the rhubarb and pour the mixture into the second baking tray
- Once level add the remaining rhubarb on top and push it into the mixture gently
- Bake for 1 hour at 180 degrees, until firm and well risen
- Leave to cool and then cut into pieces (approx 24)
What tray bakes are your favourite?