Indian is currently my favourite cuisine. I love the rich flavours, plenty of spices and the fact that a lot of the dishes are created for sharing with loved ones. It's food that really brings people together.
With the Commonwealth Games running from 23rd July until 3rd August, and bringing together 71 countries, India included, I though it was about time that I attempted to make some of my own side dishes to accompany our slow cooked curry. We can watch our favourite events (gymnastics and track) hosted by Glasgow as a family, while eating some delicious food.
325g white potatoes (approx 3 medium)
3 tbsp olive oil
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 tsp cumin
Spinach (a few leaves shredded)
1/4 tsp chilli powder
- Peel, quarter and boil the potatoes for around 15 minutes until cooked but still slightly firm
- Heat the oil in a frying pan until hot
- Add the turmeric, cumin and chilli then stir for a minute to release the flavours
- Add in the potatoes carefully and flip so that they are covered in the oil and spices
- Allow to cook for 5 minutes, rotating when necessary for an even finish
- Add the spinach and stir gently until wilted
- Remove and serve with fresh coriander
I'm placing my bet on India to do fairly well in the Commonwealth games this year - they already have 7 gold medals in shooting and weightlifting!
What is your favourite Indian dish?
*I received a voucher to cover my costs for my recipe.*