This slow cooker recipe results in clear plates all round as it is packed with flavour without being over powering. The Mini Mes, Mr and I all love it and with plenty left over it is great to freeze or reheat at work. It can be combined with mash or rice for a filling comfort food or with stir fried veg or noodles for a lighter meal.
Ingredients (serves 6)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic/1 tbsp garlic puree
2 tbsp ginger
1 tsp chilli powder
1.5kg braising beef, diced
3 tbsp plain flour
2 tbsp Chinese five-spice powder
1 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp dark soy sauce
500ml beef stock
- Fry the onion in half of the oil with the ginger, garlic and chilli until browned and transfer to the slow cooker.
- Place the beef in a bowl with the flour and give it a gentle shake to ensure all sides of the meat are covered lightly.
- Fry the meat in the remaining oil until browned and then add the Chinese five-spice, sugar, soy sauce and stock.
- Bring to the boil and then transfer to the slow cooker.
- Stir well and cook on high for 2-3 hours or auto for 5-6.
- Add more soy sauce or Chinese five-spice to taste.
We enjoyed ours with Tilda's Roasted Pepper and Courgette brown basmati rice, a great way to sneak in extra veg!
The Morphy Richards slow cooker in brushed stainless steel has a capacity of 6.5 litres and is perfect if you want dinner ready in the evening when you are out or busy during the day. The large size makes it ideal for entertaining guests or to feed bigger families and the instruction booklet supplied also contains some recipes to get you started. The toughened glass lid is strong and the removable ceramic dish makes it really easy to clean - both are suitable for the dishwasher too which is a bonus! You can enjoy your meal without worrying about dried on stains as they come off quickly with very little effort.
There is an easy to use dial to the front with three cooking options available; low, medium or high to suit any meal that you wish to cook. I found it very easy simple to use and thought it was a great quality item.
Available from Littlewoods a buy now pay later catalogue, you can purchase one today and spread the cost too if you wish.
*We received the slow cooker for the purpose of the review. The recipe and opinions given are our own*