Summer is nearly here, and although the sunny weather hasn’t managed more than a sporadic showing it’s time to start getting ready for picnics and days at the beach. What better cakes to make for lazy summer days than cupcakes. Small, portable and oh-so tasty, cupcakes are great for including in picnic hampers and packed lunch boxes.
Here are 5 ideas for summer themed ready to roll icing cupcakes.
1. Bee Topper. What says summer more than the gentle buzzing of bees skipping from flower to flower. So why not create your own cute bumblebee topper. All you’ll need is some yellow, black and white ready to roll icing. Simply roll a flattened ball of yellow icing for the body and fix a fewbands of black icing with cooled boiled water for the stripes. Then add some white wings on top.
2. Flower Plaques. Summer is a wonderful time of year for strolling through fields and forests and enjoying the fragrances of all the beautiful flowers that are in bloom. To get a hint of summer on your cupcakes simply paint on simple flowers using edible food colourings using a fine paintbrush. If you’re not particularly adept with freehand painting you can use a stencil to help you.
3. Butterfly Cupcakes. These make beautiful additions to any cake, but look particularly lovely on individual cupcakes. To make these from ready to roll icing all you need to do is get a butterfly cutter and press them out. Roll your icing to a thickness of about 2-3mm and then once you’ve pressed out the shape fold the wings in slightly. Then leave them to dry in a cardboard egg carton so they hold their shape.
4. Strawberry Cupcake. Strawberries are the quintessential summer fruit, which is why they’re so beloved of Wimbledon goers. Top your cupcakes with a swirl of strawberry frosting and then fashion a ready to roll icing strawberry as the final flourish.
5. Beach Ball Cupcake. As long as the weather delivers, trips to the beach are the highlight of many summer weekends, and beach themed cupcakes are the ideal accompaniment. These are easy to make, just grab some red, green, blue and yellow ready to roll icing. Roll each out to about 2-3mm and then cut out a circle of each, dividing them up into segments. Then attach several to the top of each cupcake using some cooled boiled apricot jam.
I hope these ready to roll icing decoration ideas inspire you to make your own cupcakes!
What will you be baking this summer?
*Sponsored Guest Post*