With the Mini Mes heading back to school on Monday I thought I'd make some yummy savoury snacks that will go perfectly in their lunch boxes as a simple alternative to the usual sandwiches or rolls.
These take about 15 minutes to make then 20 minutes to cook and the recipe makes around 24.
14oz self raising flour
4oz butter, softened
100ml of milk
Tomato puree/tomato sauce/tinned tomatoes
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
- Combine the butter and flour in a bowl and gradually add the milk to form a soft, yet dry, dough.
- Roll into a large rectangle of around 1cm thickness
- Spread over the tomato, we used the Peter Rabbit Organics Garden Vegetables Sauce, leaving a small space around the edge to prevent any filling running out when it's rolled.
- Generously sprinkle over the cheese
- Roll over the dough to form a log shape and slice whirls of around 1cm thickness.
- Place the whirls onto a tray, leaving an inch or more between each one, and cook until browned for around 20 minutes
You can use puff pastry instead of dough if you wish and add other fillings too.
Tip: If you find cutting the roll difficult you can pop the dough in the fridge for around 30 minutes to firm slightly which will make slicing it easier.